Published 30 March 2020 | Updated 23 September 2021
During the pandemic, the Australian Government and state and territory governments have issued enforceable government directions to help stop the spread of coronavirus.
Find a list below of federal and state or territory links to access relevant enforceable government directions.
As enforceable government directions are being made regularly, we encourage you to regularly check the links on this page for more information.
On this page:
Enforceable government directions outline requirements and restrictions for businesses in each state and territory. These requirements are mandatory and there may be penalties for not complying with them.
Enforceable government directions can cover issues such as:
- physical distancing and density requirements (for example, 1.5 metre distancing and 4 square metres of space per person)
- limits and restrictions on operations (for example, types of businesses or facilities remaining closed and limits on workplace activities)
- risk management requirements (for example, COVIDSafe plans).
Australian Capital Territory
- ACT Government – Public health directions
New South Wales
- NSW Health – Public Health Orders and directions – Public health orders
- Northern Territory Government – Chief Public Health Officer directions
- Western Australian Government – State of Emergency Declarations
- Biosecurity (Entry Requirements—Human Coronavirus with Pandemic Potential) Determination 2020 (16 October 2020)
- Biosecurity (Human Biosecurity Emergency) (Human Coronavirus with Pandemic Potential) Declaration 2020 (compilation at 4 September 2020)
- Biosecurity (Human Biosecurity Emergency) (Human Coronavirus with Pandemic Potential) (Emergency Requirements for Cruise Ships) Determination 2020 (compilation at 2 September 2020)
- Biosecurity (Human Biosecurity Emergency) (Human Coronavirus with Pandemic Potential) (Overseas Travel Ban Emergency Requirements) Determination 2020 Compilation including amendments up to 19 April 2021.
- Biosecurity (Human Biosecurity Emergency) (Human Coronavirus with Pandemic Potential) (Emergency Requirements) Amendment Determination (No. 2) 2020 (20 May 2020)
- Biosecurity (Human Biosecurity Emergency) (Human Coronavirus with Pandemic Potential) (Emergency Requirements - High Risk Country Travel Pause) Determination 2021 , commenced 3 May 2021 and to be repealed 15 May 2021.
- Commonwealth: Federal Register
- New South Wales: Government Gazette
- Victoria: Government Gazette
- Queensland: Queensland Health , Government Gazette
- Western Australia: Government Website
- South Australia: Government Gazette , SA Emergency Declarations and Directions
- Tasmania: Government Gazette and Resources
- Australian Capital Territory: Search through ACT notifiable instruments
- Northern Territory: Government Gazette and Government Website